Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Do I deadhead or let them go to seeds???

mary_max
17 years ago

I just the past couple of weeks started to see a lot of growth in my flower gardens. But I am reading how so many of you are collecting seeds. Do I NOT deadhead and start collecting seeds too? How do you know which to do? Remember this is my first time at this and I dont really know what to do. I appreciate your help as always.

Comments (5)

• teresabo
    17 years ago

Most plants I deadhead until late July/early August. They look cleaner and often produce more flowers. Depends a bit on how much seed you want. I only need a few seed pods of nicotania, salpiglossis, and petunias - only a couple flowerheads of blanketflowers. But others that only have a couple seeds per pod I need to leave more to seed. What plants are you wanting to collect from?

• mary_max
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks.... your reply helped. I questioned all this work for one showing of flowers. I will deadhead and let the plants do their thing for a while longer. I have started to wonder also if it is really worth collecting seeds. Do many of you NOT and just purchase the seeds later in the year? I am afraid that maybe the seeds I collect will not sprout later on.???? Do I have any reason to feel this way, or does it normally work out well. I really would like to hear from others and their feelings regarding this issue if at all possible. Thanks again.

• teresabo
    17 years ago

I love collecting seeds! It is great to participate in the whole cycle - get the seeds, store, plant, grow, get the seeds...... I've had a couple varieties not germinate well but most are fine! I also enjoy sharing them with friends and relatives - they really appreciate it too.

• carrie630
    17 years ago

Although this is my second year growing from seed, I did notice a big difference in how big and healthy my plants grew from my collected seeds as opposed to store bought seeds. I think there is a difference, but not quite sure why. Also, I wintersow and definitely those plants are healthier - the roots seem healthier and also I have found that I have had no trouble moving plants around (with lots of watering, of course) if I've grown them myself, as opposed to store bought. Transplanting can be iffy in the summer, but I've been very successful. I had put seedlings down in places where I shouldn't have and I just dug them up and moved them to a better place with no trouble. Good luck - it's fun! Carrie

• ranjana
    17 years ago

Hi!
    This year I went into a frenzy and saved seeds of hundreds of varieties of plants. They include perennials, annuals, bulb seeds, veggie seeds. I also got a lot as gifts,too.
    They are currently drying up in my dining room and basement.
    Could you experts help me in compiling a list of seeds which can be oversown in zone 6?
    Thanking you all in advance,
    Ranjana

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider
More Discussions