Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coreopsis seeds?

Posted by michelle11 z7 AL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 21:55

Hi all! I have a few "wildflowers" that I rescued from an empty lot that have turned out to be coreopsis. I love the coloring, and would like to get more. So my question is how can I tell that the seeds are ready for harvesting from this plant, and should I wait until spring to plant them or could I plant them now and get some more flowers? How do I store the seeds if I need to wait?
Thanks for the help!
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coreopsis seeds?

Great question and a fun seed to collect. Wait until the heads and the stem just below is brown. Then, pluck it off and crumble the head. Inside you will see brown/grey disks that look like turtle shells. They are laying right against the outer petals of the head. There are pictures of these seeds on various sites. But the thing to remember is they look like turtle shells.

That should do you. Took me a while to figure it out too. If you need more help, continue to post and we can get pictures etc.

o
RE: coreopsis seeds?

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 9, 05 at 11:46

Ditto what Bakemom said about collecting. Once you collect them, put them in a container to dry for a couple weeks. Once they are dry, store them in a envelope or container in a cool, dry place.

You can plant them now but depending on the type, you may not get them to flower until next year. The few types I grow all flower first year but there are many other varieties so some may be second year bloomers.

You can also sow them in the fall and they will come up next spring or they do great being Winter Sown (see Winter Sowing forum).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here