Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dianthus seeds

Posted by onedaylily 6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 22:42

When I look at seed sites it can be a little difficult to get a good sense of the size of seeds. Are dianthus seeds only a little bigger than dust? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dianthus seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 14:44

Hi,
Dianthus seeds are not that tiny. They are black or dark brown little chip looking things. On the link below, there is as pic. The size looks about right on my monitor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dianthus Page on The Seed Site

o

Remy, thanks very much for the response. I waited until the pods were very dry but no seeds like the ones you posted. Guess I'll work on the timing and see what happens next year. These were patented plants - could they be sterile? Margie

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 22:16

They could be sterile. I had a sterile variety so I know they are out there. Usually dianthus make seeds in abundance. Another reason for no seeds could be if the weather was odd during bloom time. Very high heat will cause plants to not have seeds. Excessive rain can do the same.
Remy

o

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 21:51

This past Spring I purchased a whole flat of beautiful red dianthus. They were small, like they may have been sold as plugs. They have been planted in the flowerbed and still aren't much larger than when I planted them in the Spring. Is there any hope that they'll grow larger. If not, they can go in the yard waste bag that they collect on Mondays or Thursdays. They are taking up valuable real estate!

o

Margie - do you want some dianthus seeds to winter sow? I harvested all the seeds from my various perennial dianthus and marked them (can you believe it?) so they're separated by cultivar name. There's way more than I'll be able to WS this time around so they're yours if you want them (for postage). I do WS dianthus every year but may finally be closing in on having enough of them. (;-p)

o

I waited until the pods were very dry but no seeds like the ones you posted. They may have fallen out or been eaten.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here