Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melon seeds

Posted by gardengal13 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 6:57

So I am new to gardening and seed saving. With the cucurbits, do they all pollinate with all the others. For instance, someone gave me a melon and I saved the seeds from it but if someone grew cucumbers 10 feet away, could it be some weird cross or would it only cross with other melons? Are my collected seeds going to be the same melon variety? No one grew melons near by (that I know of) but there was tons of squash, cucumbers and pumpkins grown near this crop. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melon seeds

Melons do cross readily but not with pumpkins, squash, and most cucumbers (except for Armenian cucumbers). Pollen can be carried in from a distance by bees so crossing could occur with pollen from elsewhere.

Yours could be fine. You will have to decide how important seed purity is to you with your growing time, space, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Melon crossing and seed saving

o
RE: Melon seeds

Thanks so much, Naturegirl_2007! Then I think I will keep these seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here