Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patchouli seeds & fungus gnats

Posted by spottedhen (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 8:01

Hi all--I'm new to this board and hope you don't mind me sharing something I recently discovered. I own a farm upstate where I grow patchouli herb plants from seeds.Lately the plants have been besieged by fungus gnats whose larvae eat the root system,killing the plants.Patchouli seeds are rare in the trade and I needed to do some serious defensive treatment.I've never had this problem before and couldn't find anything that would get rid of them.Some time ago I've heard about a pesticide called Gnatrol but the manufacturer stopped producing it in liquid form and recently created Gnatrol in granular form. Apparantly it contains bacteria that seeks out and eats the gnat larvae. I ordered some to test it and will let you all know the results. Thanks for having me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patchouli seeds & fungus gnats

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 8:40

Hi,
This forum doesn't get a lot of outside traffic like other forums. I and a few others answer questions to seed saving and storage. I don't know about Fungus gnats on a large scale as you may have. I've had them in a pot or two and been able to control them by letting the pots dry out since the gnats need moist soil to survive.
There is a Pest and Disease Forum, a Market Gardener forum, and a House Plant forum. I'm betting you would get better suggestions if you post again in one of those forums.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here