Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brickza

Basil flower stems wilt before the seeds mature

brickza
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to save the seeds from a basil bush that grew really well for me. It bolted probably a month or two ago, but it seems that the seeds won't mature before the stem that the flowers are on dies!

What seems to happen is that as is expected bunch of flowers form on about a 3-5" section of stem. Then the flowers wilt as expected. But then, instead of the seeds forming and maturing in the seed-pod, the whole 3-5" section of stem starts wilting, and dies before the seeds have formed.

What could be causing this, and what could I do about it? I have saved basil seeds before and I'm not really doing anything different this time!

Thanks

Neilen

Comments (6)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

For some reason, your flowers did not get proper pollination to set seed. So the flower part dies away instead of forming seed.
    Remy

• brickza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's strange, since I see bees visiting the basil flowers. Is there anything else I can do to help the polination?

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

My thought would be some kind of insect on the plant. Though I have never had insects on my basil only slugs tend to attack the bottom portion of mine. If not an insect then maybe lack of water, a plant needs the same care during seed development as during bloom and regular growth. I only say those options cause you said you have plenty of bees visiting, and I have never had a problem with my seed not forming on my basil and I never pollinate mine myself.

Remy is a very smart person and believe me she knows her pollination techniques. With that said if you think that pollination is the problem then you can encourage it by taking a small paint brush and rubbing it from the outside of the bloom to the inside (stamen to pistil).

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

It is not only whether the bees visit. They of course help. Weather plays an important part. If too hot or cold, or too wet or dry, failure can occur.
    Your flowers now may set seed though the earlier ones did not. This happens a lot. Let say the last flush happened during a heat wave and all the flower heads died, but the temps dropped a few degrees during this flowering set, you will see seed this time around.
    Remy

• brickza
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to uproot the plant in any case since I needed the space, but did first pull off individual branches to look at. Lo and behold, I did find some mature seed pods! I managed to gather 20 odd seeds, which is more than enough for my modest needs. I guess some unfavourable condition must have caused the low success rate. Could it have been because the first flowers set in the middle of winter? Winter here is fairly mild (never below freezing), but it can be overcast and rainy for weeks at a time.

Something that did interest me is that several of the mature seed pods had less than four seeds. Is this normal, and should the seeds that I did harvest from those pods still be viable?

Thanks
    Neilen

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you did get seeds! It doesn't matter how many seeds there are in pods(this goes for all plants) as long as they are plump little seeds. Your weather probably was a factor in the seed development. Years with long periods of cool rainy weather causes lower seed counts with many of my spring bloomers, and I assume your winter weather would do the same.
    Remy

Sponsored
More Discussions