Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Normal delphinium behavior?

I have been waiting on some Delphinium grandiflorum 'Blue Mirror' to set seed. They are a new purchase this year, so it is my first exerience with them. I was very surprised this morning to see a seed pod had actually slit open as it seems too soon. The seed pods on this plant have just barely begun to show any yellowing. The split pod is more yellow, but is not brown. The stem is not brown, either. I turned it upside down and no seeds came out, but I can see the seeds inside the split pod. They are not yet fully black, but seem grey and fuzzy.

Is it normal for these pods to split open before either they or their stem have begun to brown? Now that this pod is open, I'm worried about losing the seed. Should I cut it off and treat it inside with a cozy paper bag?

I did some internet searching. The images I found, like on theseedsite show a brown pod and stem. A NZ delphinium producer harvests their pods when they are yellow, which makes me wonder if my pod is normal. I'm mainly confused because mine has already split before browning, which is what I know is the true sign of a ripe seed. Is it an anomaly that split too soon, or will they all split before browning?

Thank you in advance for your wonderful help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions