Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudbucket

Russian Sage

mudbucket
18 years ago

i did a search throughout GW and found conflicting opinions on starting these from seed. i was thinking of trying to WS seed from my existing plant. how do i tell when the seeds are ready to collect and should i even bother? thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (4)

• jacks_girl
    18 years ago

i don't know how to collect,..would be interested in that information. But as whether to bother...I purchased russian sage seed this year and wintersowed (my first attempt at wintersowing) and had many plants germinate, and now planted in my garden! Hope someone answers about collecting the seeds.
    maggie in delaware

• mudbucket
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks, maggie -that's encouraging! i'll keep watching mine, and hopefully someone can give us some guidance on collecting.

• mustangsue
    18 years ago

I grew 4 from seed this spring. Doing well. I was told to take cuttings from them when they are cut to the ground in the spring.

• cookie8
    18 years ago

I am following the general guidlines of, if they are browned they are ready. I have some seeds from which I think is Russian Sage (as per the name that plant forum) and the seeds I got from this plant were pretty easy to collect. The seeds also have a paper like coating on them, they were in small clusters. If you rub them between your fingers, the seeds seem to fall out. Here is a good website - www.theseedsite.co.uk.