Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyinwv

Ptilotus 'Joey' what does the seed look like?Also angelonia

tammyinwv
14 years ago

I have one small plant, and I wan to save the seed. Can anyone tell me what to look for?

I also have angelonia the serena series. How do I find the seed on these?

Tammy

Comments (3)

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    Angelonia just started to be from seed in recent years so I don't think you are not going to find better info than from the other post you made. I do want to correct something. Just because the variety you got came from seed does not mean it will come true. You can buy many hybrids to grow from seeds, but the seed saved from them will vary. I did not do a search to see if the Serena series is F1 seed.

I searched to find out about the Ptilotus, but had no luck. One site has a botanical print, but I can't get the page to load. Anyway, I did learn that your plant is on the amaranth family. It has a look like celosia which is also in the amaranth family so I'm betting the seed will be nestled at the base of the flowers along the stalk just like celosia. The flowers will dry and the small ball seeds will become evident.
    Hope this helps,
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Angelonia Seeds

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Remy, I hadnt thought about them not coming true to parent just because they can be grown from seed. I might be best with doing as the other poster commented about taking cuttings of angelonia over winter. I certainly havent seen seed pods on mine yet anyway. I hope Joey will be different.

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Tammy,
    I grew Angelonia from seed this year that I saved from the Serena series last year. Of course I don't have the original plants to compare this year's version to, but I don't recognize any signicant deterioration-in fact, they are lovely again this year. If they were F1's they seem to be fine when removed one generation.
    Ptilotus seeds are stiff bars enclosed by "fuzz". I got my original seeds from Australia so I am not sure if commercial growers clean them before they are sold, but the ones I harvested a few days ago look just like the ones I started with. I have been told that only the seeds from well matured seedheads will germinate, so I waited until the blooms turned completely gray to harvest. As you crumble the seed head, the bars seem to be enclosed in the petal base similar to the way a Gomphrena seed is held within a puffy petal base only this is not as fluffy. I was instructed to take a pin and pull away a bit of the fuzz to expose the seed and I did that. I only had about 50% germination in the greenhouse, but I may not have allowed enough time for all of them to germinate.
    I hope this is helpful.
    Alana

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions