Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black and blue salvia

Posted by glenn_2008 Pa zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 10:07

HI...........I'm a newbie at this and was wondering if there is a reliable way to collect seed from my b&b salvia?
I had two nice clumps seed themselves but the flowers didn't show until this week. Can't seem to find these plants until about this time of year and since my hummers pounce on these plants, I'd like to get seed started early so I can get them into the garden for the late spring and summer.
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black and blue salvia

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 21:45

Hi,
Black and Blue is an exceptionally difficult plant to get seed from. Either there is no seed set or the seeds drop out immediately when ripe. This makes sense though because this type of salvia makes tuberous roots. Plants that do that often are less generous with seeds.
There are a few things you can do though.
One if you've got a good local family owned type nursery that carries Proven Winners annuals, you can ask that they order it for you in the spring.
Another is to trade on the Plant Exchange Forum in the spring. People who live down south will have nice sized starts if you have plants to offer in exchange.
Lastly, try planting your plants on the south side of your home close to the foundation. I did this a couple years ago with mine and it has come back for me. I originally did this because I figured what the heck either throw it out, or see if it lives. Last year, it grew, but did not bloom(thought it did in the first year in the pot of course.) This year, it has been blooming for a few weeks now and looks great!
Hope this helps,
Remy

o

So then what I am gathering from this is unless you have a tarp around the bases of your B&Bs you'll be hard pressed to get any seeds when they are ready.

So then, is there a way to determine how long it takes for the seed to ripen prior to the flower drop off?

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 8:29

Hi Dakster,
I'm not sure about the time. I've never bothered trying since I've read so much about how hard it is to get seed. But when I collect seed from my Salvia patens 'Cambridge Blue' which also likes to drop seed quickly when ripe(but it at least makes seed quite readily,) I go out there checking every day. You can see down into the calyx that seeds are developing.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here