Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double Rudbeckia seeds

Posted by fanelda z5 So. Ilinois (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 05 at 10:31

How are the double rudbeckia seeds identified? I see a little black asterick and a tiny little candle-like part. Help please! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double Rudbeckia seeds

I ran out to my new double ruds to answer your question for both of us! My double ruds have seeds similar to regular ruds, but there don't seem to be as many in one seed head as in regular rudbeckia.

Basically they are the little gray/black pegs that are shorter than the spikes on the head.

o

• Posted by fanelda z5 So. Ilinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 19:08

Is the ligher color parts just chaff? I can't seperate the light from the dark, so if I'm going to trade seed, is this OK to leave with the black pegs?

o

Here's my theory, communication is key. Personally, I don't have the time or patience to seperate chaff from seed on rudbeckias. It's just too tedious. So, I trade my ruds with chaff. I try and eliminate most of it and make sure there is plenty of seed in each envelope.

I have winter sowed a gazillion ruds and so far, the chaff with the seed has never been a problem. Seems to me that as long as you make it clear that there is going to be chaff and that you make sure there is plenty of seed, the traders can decide if it's the trade for them. Just be honest and do your best.

o

I like this idea the best. I will not spend hours trying to seperate the chaff. Thanks for the tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here