Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush Seeds Help

Posted by jll0306 10 High Desert (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 10:55

I'm new at this, but very enthusiastic.

I've collected and cleaned lots of very tiny seeds from the spent blossoms of my butterfly bush...at least they LOOK like seeds. But now I've read that buddlea (sp?) seeds come from pods? I've never seen any pods on my plant. Should I have waited longer?

thanks,
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush Seeds Help

• Posted by nica13 Z6 N.F. NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 17:30

i am also wondering the same thing.......any info would be greatly appreciated

o

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 18:43

The pods are about 1/4 of an inch and look like an elongated footballs. The pods grow after the blooms are gone completely (seeds are no where on the blossoms). There will be lots of pods on the stems. It takes a really long time for the pods to turn from green to brown. I don't get ripe pods until late fall and usually (in zone 5) after the first frost. Inside the pod are tiny hairs, those are the seeds. I wait until the pods are cracking, then put them in a baggie and shake the heck out of them to clean. You can just crush up the pods and sow chaff and all too.

o

Here is a pic of the seeds (zoomed)....

Scroll down where it says 'Images', then click on Seeds (Buddleja davidii):

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddleja davidii seed pic...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here