Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harlgr8dane

Varieties of Morning Glories in same container

harlgr8dane
18 years ago

Ooops. Since the spring when I planted my morning glories I have learned so much about seeds and collecting and now I realize that I have a small "problem". I planted 2 types of morning glories in one container. A pink one, which I do not know the species and the other is heavenly Blue. The pink ones have been blooming like crazy for the last month or so, - these are pretty much finished. They are now just showing seed pods. BUT...today I saw the first Heavenly Blue flower!

I would like to collect to trade and keep both varieties. Do the seeds come right from the flower - so if I tie a string or mark them somehow that I can know which seeds are which. Will the seeds look a little different? Or should I just chalk it up to lesson learned and plant them different containers next year?

Thanks.

Renee

Comments (5)

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

Hopefully you'll notice a difference when you harvest the seeds, but definitely try and tag at least one pod on each plant. The only way you'll be able to tell the difference is when you see the seeds from both MG's. I've grown a few, and they were noticably different, but that's not always the case. If you plan on trading your harvested seeds, just combine them and trade them as a mix (and name the varieties, if possible). Definitely plant them separately next year. I've been pretty successful at not planting two so closely, but did screw up this year. I had one variety on one side of the trellis and another on the other. They were both climbing nicely, but when they met at the top, they became entwined. What's worse is that neither have bloomed yet :(

Note: Please ignore any underlined embedded tags in this message; they are not endorsed by me nor approved by me. IVillage; give it a rest...

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Hi,

I did the same thing. I really like two together so I want to keep doing it. Will the seeds cross polinate and give me some different flower? Mine have been in bloom at the same time. Also if you are tying string around certain flowers, I want to collect a LOT..that's a LOT of tying..and don't they then have to be different color string? I just twist tied one or two so far, but it won't be enough.

Adam

• harlgr8dane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Kim. I'll try to see if there is a marked difference in the seed. Like yours, mine are intertwined like crazy up at the top...though it seems to me that the Heavenly blue stems are bare, and the pink ones are a little fuzzy, so it may not be so hard to tell the difference after all.
    Adam - you might see if your stems are a little different too. And I liked it as well...my Heavenly Blues are just taking off now. So it was lots of colour from the two types and they seemed to be back to back with no overlap. :D Sometimes good things happen by accident :)

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

I planted some morning glory seeds last year and what came up were 2 colors: deep pink and purple-blue. Each very lovely, and all entwined together so that by the time they made seeds I had no idea. I sold seeds on ebay and sold them as a mix of the 2 colors. The seeds looked exactly the same. I planted the seeds and now have the same two colors again.

Was thinking about trying to separate the colors, but they are all entwined again (actually growing gloriously up and around extremely tall branched sunflowers from last year.) So will try to figure out some blue and some pink but the seed pods are everywhere as the flowers are everywhere, so will have to rely on plants off by themselves, which mostly they aren't. People bought the mixed ones and they are beautiful together, so I am not too worried about it.

Marcia

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

I had the same problem when I planted milky way and black knight on the same trelis. Talk about a tangled mess! But a beautiful tangled mess none the less =) I let them reseed, and now this year I have the "black and white" flowers again, along with what looks like 'star of yelta.' I have no idea how that got there =) When I started collecting seeds, I realizied there was just no way to sort out which was which, so I made a mix! But I did tag a few flower with black and white rubber bands, which managed to work themselves loose or get lost in the vines =(
    Now, with your MGs, I believe heavenly blue and the pinks could be two different species. Heavenly blue are i. tricolor, and most pinks (that I have grown) are i. purpurea. The tricolors usually have noticeably pointed, lighter brown seeds, while purpureas are either tan or almost black and much more rounded.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions