Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gathering Baptisia Seeds

Posted by Lisa_H 7 OK (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 11:31

I noticed last night my baptisia pods were popping open, so I gathered all the rest of the pods. The seeds were various colors ranging from a cream to a dark brown. Does the color indicate whether the seed is good or not?

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gathering Baptisia Seeds

Hi Lisa -

Doesn't seem like this board is very active right now, huh? I gathered some Baptisia seeds, too - most of mine were tan colored. There were some that were black, but I don't remember any cream colored ones. I think I threw the black ones out because they came from pods that had become moldy or eaten up by bugs. It was actually hard to harvest any - most had been eaten by a bug of some kind! I'm not sure if this info helps you or not, but the pods I collected were black. You probably already know that. I have the seeds drying right now. I'm pretty new to this - just wanted to give you some info!

Good luck!

Jill

o

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 0:28

I've gathered a lot in past years and they seem to have a range of colors. I've had good germination with all so I can't say that one shade is "better" than another. I think they are one of those plants (like Morning Glories) that their seeds come in a variety of shades.

o

Hi,

I was just out looking at the pods on the Baptisia. I have had the pods on the plants since they stopped blooming in June. That is a long time for seeds to have to develp..here it is September. My pods are still attached and not popping open but the pods are black. I would love to know if they are ripe or if they are NOT ripe until the pods pop open?

Adam

o

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 12:29

The seeds I've collected for drying and storage were un-cracked and they sprouted fine. The trick of course is to collect right before they crack. I waited until some pods were cracked, then collected all the pods.

What I found with the cracked pods was that some of the seeds sprouted in the pods because rain had gotten in. That may be Mother Natures' way of pre-sprouting seeds before dropping them on the ground. Pre-sprouted seeds are fine if you are going to put them in soil immediately and grow them inside but pre-sprouted seed doesn't work so well for dry storage. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here