Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evening Primrose Seed Collecting

Posted by michiganalice Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 12:20

I have some Evening Primrose in my garden, I'd like to collect the seed from it but I'm not sure where to start. Right now, my plants have finished flowering and are forming hard "pods" (sort of pods...they're small though).

I'm wondering if the "pods" are the actual seed or if the seeds are contained inside. I've popped one open before and didn't see too much.

If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate the help. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evening Primrose Seed Collecting

Evening Primrose is listed in the seedsaving FAQ at the top of the screen. I knew I saw it somewhere and took me awhile to remember this forum has a FAQ with lots of things listed.
I remember collecting these seeds last year and the end does dry to open sort of like a star. The seeds drop right out when the seedpod is ready.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ

o
RE: Evening Primrose Seed Collecting

The pods start to turn brown from the tip downward, and I've found that once you see the brown at the top of the pod, they are ready to collect. If you wait too long, they will drop the large number of seeds on the ground as the pod opens. There should be about a hundred seeds in each pod, and each one looks like a small, very dark brown, angular bits (like skewed cubes, kinda). If you collect them too early, you will see nothing but soft, grainy green things inside, and those would be the immature seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here