Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what plants need stratification

Posted by steelskies 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 12:48

All? Is there a list somewhere or at least partial list of what seeds need this cold period. And put in frig, or freezer Or may be one can't go wrong by giving everything a cold period?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what plants need stratification

wouldnt it be easier to ID the seed.. and then research its requisite needs???

i dont understand doing it the way you want to attack the issue ...

ken

o

Yes that makes sense but I have an entire huge drink cooler full of different seeds - flowers and vegetables that I am saving. And some I don't know the name of. I have a bad habit of saving seeds from everything...........

o

If you don't know the name of the seed there is no way of knowing whether it needs stratification.

If you do know the name of the seed you can then research its origins. It is a plant that comes from somewhere with cold winters? If so stratification probably will do no harm. If it comes from somewhere that has warm winters stratification will probably harm it.

Or just look up instructions for sowing each of the seeds you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here