Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Williams, Verbena, and Lobelia

Posted by scarygirl z5EasternWA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 15, 06 at 13:48

With the help of this forum, I have found the seeds for petunias, wave petunias, and portulaca. However, I am now in need of finding the seeds for sweet william, verbena, and lobelia.

My problem with the lobelia is they are so small and am not sure where or if I will be able to see the pod. If anyone has any advise it would be great.

As for the sweet william I think I see the seed pod, but they are green. The dead heads that are brown have nothing that I can see would be a pod in it and are empty. Should I just let them reseed themselves or keep my eye on the pods that are still green?

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Williams, Verbena, and Lobelia

I have Blue Moon Lobelia. Up until now, (quite literally today as I am new to seed saving myself)I have only been able to harvest very few seeds. But now there's a lot. When the majority of the flowers are dead or dying, look at the base of the flower. That green part will swell considerably from the way it used to look. It will start to turn from green to brown but still be soft. During this transition if you look closely at the pod, it might appear slightly transluscent and the fat area holding the seeds will appear darker (because the seeds are dark brown to black). The pod will continue to dry and will feel papery and hard when ready to harvest. Pull the pods off then (be carefull, if it's very ready the seeds will start to fall out the second you pull it off the bush...I use a paper plate). You can put them all in a plastic baggie and crush them or open each individual pod (which I prefer because there is less chaff). The seeds look like dark brown or black grains of fine sand and are almost as heavy. Dry 'em, store 'em, winter sow 'em, enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Netta

o
RE: Sweet Williams, Verbena, and Lobelia

Thank you, I will try that. I only have a little bit of the lobelia, but I will keep a look out and collect seeds.
Went out yesterday and was able to collect a few of the sweet william seeds. My verbena is blooming again, so it looks like more waiting for those. Sure is fun collecting!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here