Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting Zinnia Seeds

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 14:56

The zinnia flowers look ready as they are all dead and somewhat dark (the birds are enjoying them ) but when I get the seeds I find only a few dark ones the others have a tint of green. So does this mean wait a bit longer? The bed is ugly enough and the plants all fallen over so I would love to tear them out. But I do what the seeds so if necessary I will wait. Please advise. Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting Zinnia Seeds

If the birds are eating the seeds, and the seed heads are brown and dried up, it sounds like the seeds are ready.

I used to deadhead the tall Zinnias (State Fair Mix), but last year wanted to collect some seeds, so I left the flowers to go to seed. This worked out okay because the new flowers that grew on the plants would pretty much cover the old flower heads as they dried.

I cut off the oldest dried brown seed heads, and put them into a paper bag to dry for about a month. Then you can remove the seeds from the heads. I left some seed heads on the plants until well after frost, and the Goldfinches went crazy over the seed in the fall. I pulled the plants up once the birds had eaten all the seeds.

This post was edited by terrene on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 19:52

o
RE: Collecting Zinnia Seeds

Interestingly, I learned from a thread on the annuals forum that you can actually collect zinnia seeds when they are still green. As long as you can feel a fullness and the seed has definitely turned green vs still white, you just need to let them dry extra long since the green seed coat is less water permeable. I did this last year and had excellent germination this spring. Anyway, I'm sure yours are fine for collecting now.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here