Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you know when seed is ripe on astilbe?

Posted by yvette_adams z5 Quebec (adams_yvette2000@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 15:03

I have grown lots of things from seed I have harvested myself, but this one has never worked for me.
Because they are too small to see, maybe I am losing the seed? just wondering, any idea's will be appreciated...Yvette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you know when seed is ripe on astilbe?

I was going to ask the same question but you beat me to it.
How small are the seeds? Are they about the same size as begonia seeds? I noticed quite a bit of "dust" particles coming from the dried astilbe flowers... Are those the seeds?

Jeff

o

I need help too! I don't know how to harvest the seeds, though I do know the seeds are tiny. Would really appreciate advice.

o

Wow - I get to answer three of you at once! I wait until the astilbe flower heads are completely dry, towards the end of August/early September. I cut the entire stems below the flowers and place them upside down in a paper bag. I clip the bag to a shelf unit inside my garage and leave the bag open so they can finish drying. After a month or so I crush the dried flower stalks. The seeds are, as one of you said, as tiny as dust motes.

When it comes time to sow them, I just sow seeds, chaff & all. I winter sow the seeds and am growing some healthy-looking seedlings at the moment. The seeds don't need cold stratification according to my notes but Swallowtail Garden Seeds website says if they don't germinate after 4-5 weeks at 65-70 degrees, put them in the refrigerator for 4 weeks, then set them out in 65-70 degree temps again. Winter sowing is much less complicated than that--just sow the seeds/chaff in recycled containers, stick the containers out in the snow and ignore them until spring.

From my observations, astilbe (like many shade lovers) grows very s-l-o-w-l-y from seed and won't bloom until it reaches maturity so division is the best way to get mature plants that will bloom a year or two after being divided.

o

thanks a ton!

o

Thank you!! I have some to trade, as I don't need seedlings, but didn't know how to harvest. This helps a lot : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here