Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedgwytch

Having trouble knowing what to do with Agastache Acupulco bicolor

hedgwytch
17 years ago

Hi all. I've searched the FAQ's and see the Anise Hyssop, but don't see anything like that on my agastache. Will it look like those seed heads, or like something different? How do I harvest it? Can I cut it back, or should I let it die down for the winter? I can't remember what I did with it last year. I think I just broke it down after the frost, but I wanted seeds for another garden. I don't think it divides.

Thanks,

HW

Comments (3)

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

The seedheads look nothing like Anise Hyssop, unfortunately. From those types of agastaches, it's sooo easy to harvest the seed. From the other types, like A. cana, it's much harder, for me anyway. I had about 6 Acapulco plants two years ago. I was only able to harvest about 20 seeds, and it was a tedious task, checking each calyx. The following year, only 2 of the Acapulco's returned. This year, I'm down to 1. I love this plant sooooo much, but it's not a well performer in my garden. I also lost 3 A. cana's this year.

• hedgwytch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tracey-thanks for the reply. I guess it's the one zone difference that these plants need. Mine is pushing the 5 ft mark-it's HUGE! And I got it in a little 2 inch pot last summer, stayed green through the winter. I was beginning to wonder if maybe it's sterile? I have no babies whatsoever at the base, and me nicotiana that I got around the same time had enough babies around it to spread all over early this spring.

If I was going to harvest seeds from this, how exactly did you do it? I was thinking of cutting it back, bagging the flower heads after drying, and shaking them out like monarda. Think that would work?

Oh, and by the way, do you have a better way to harvest monarda?? LOL!

HW

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

I've never been able to harvest seed from monarda either! I have Jacob Cline, Marshalls Delight, Blue Stocking and Claire Grace. I didn't even try to harvest my lemon mint monarda; although I had received these seeds in a trade, and it did reseed for me, so that one must be a good seed producer. I'll check this year.

Sometimes I wish I was a zone 7. When I harvested the seed from the Acapulco, I looked into each calyx; if it was dark, I plucked off the calyx, then removed the seed from with a tweezer. I was desperate to save as much seed from this beauty that I could (and only got a whopping 20--grrrrr). I'll tell you one thing though, I really loved the smell of my fingers after doing this. Sorry if that sounds a little weird ;)
    I didn't winter sow the seed that I had collected; I forgot (darn brain cells)...

I did purchase another and stuck it in a pot with Salvia B&B. I plan on overwintering the entire pot in my florida room, which gets very cold but rarely freezes.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions