Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fanelda

Coronation Gold Yarrow Seeds

fanelda
18 years ago

Where are the seeds in my dried up yarrow head? I can't shake anything out and when I open each little head on the cluster, I can't find anything that looks like a seed.

Comments (7)

• elvis
    18 years ago

Fanelda, yarrow seeds are tiny, as are many others. I put the dried flower heads in a paper bag and shake 'em up (I also do this with monarda, poppy, columbine, and many others). The seeds will fall out. Then I use an oversized tea strainer over a pie tin to sort the seeds from the heads. I then use an oversized funnel to dump the seeds into containers (baggie, prescription container, etc.). This works for me--hope this helps you.

• peat_moss
    18 years ago

"Seeds are like tiny yellow spearheads with a short black handle, in a chaffy seedhead. Many seeds in a seedhead."

I don't really get the short black handle part, but... Hope this helps

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful:

• fanelda
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the help. Do I have to take the seed out of the chaff or can I just plant each little head?

• elvis
    18 years ago

You can plant the whole thing.

• pbaby
    18 years ago

Fanelda, did you end up finding the seeds cause I've been scratching my head, picking at my yarrow, and I can't find any either...?

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Peat Moss..what is that website that shows what the seeds of certain flowers look like? I couldn't find seeds on my bee balm, so I clipped the seed heads off and threw on the ground near the stalk. Will seeds fall out of there and start seedlings for me? What about yarrow? I rec'd yellow yarrow in the wintersowing swap last year, the seed pods are brown now so I feel it is ready to harvest. What about liatris? I need to harvest my dwarf fairy candytuft now. I love this flower, it does reseed too although it's an annual and it is so pretty when in bloom and they blooms last a long time. I get my seeds from Crosman seeds up in Rochester, NY. 1950 prices..and top quality seeds. How do you harvest snapdragon seeds? If I harvested some of the above seeds now, could I start them in a container and would they be ready for a plant swap in mid Sept?

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Today, I visited a gardening friend and she showed me where to clip the bee balm stalk after removing the dried seed pod. It is important to let the spent bloom stay on the stalk and get brown and dried before cutting off. She says if you do it the way she showed me, the bee balm will continue to bloom. The stalks I cut down will not come back this year. I didn't cut all the stalks down so now I can do what she showed me today. Will report back of the results. Gardening is all trial and error. I've learning from my errors I hope! If there's anything that I've learned these last two years is that I'm an impatient gardener. We are supposed to learn from our mistakes.

Sponsored
Vivancos Trim LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Loudoun County's Artfully Crafted General Contractor
More Discussions