Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 16:39

HI I was wondering if I could save the seed from the following that Im growing
Rosa Bianca eggplant
Hansel eggplant
Gretel eggplant
Coyame hot peppers
mini red bell peppers
All growing In same area Any other tips? thx

Does blight or other diseases affect seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save..

Hansel and Gretel eggplants are F1 hybrids and saved seed will come with the usual likelihood of offspring being different from the parents and different from each other. Same with Coyame peppers which are also hybrids. So yes, you can save seed, but no, it does not breed true so you probably won't want to save seed.

The Rosa Bianca eggplant is open pollinated and is good for seed saving. Let the fruit grow far beyond the stage at which it is usually picked for eating since good eating eggplants are immature.

The mini red bell peppers do not give a variety name. Most I've seen are OP and should be fine for seed saving once they reach final color and ripeness.

o

Thanks naturegirl for the info!! Appreciate it :)

o

I got some mini bell peppers at a plant swap a few years ago, and saved seed from those plants. Grew 2 plants this year from the saved seed, and they seeded true. Just saved some more seed from the first little pepper that turned red. Pepper seeds are super easy, I'm letting the seeds dry in a little paper cup. These plants are producing a good amount of peppers but they sure aren't very big! (Guess that's the point, haha).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here