Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Need help collecting seed

northerner_on
14 years ago

Hello experienced seed-collectors, perhaps you could offer me some advice. I have read all the FAQ's and searched the Web but could not find the answer to my question. I live in Zone 5, Canada and have collected many seeds over the years, but mainly of perennials which bloom and the dried seeds are obvious and available. Now I want to save seed of annuals particularly petunias. It seems to me that it is necessary to stop deadheading at some time, so that seeds can ripen and be harvested. But when do you stop deadheading? My petunias are now at the stage where they are leggy and looking pretty ratty and usually I would cut them back hard, and perhaps they would come back and give me some bloom, perhaps not. I am afraid if I do that I will loose all the blooms (potential seed) and not get enough seed. So could you tell me how you do it? I really want to save this seed because it has sentimental value. I would also appreciate saving seed advice for zinnias. I have been given some beautiful seeds which I would love the grow again. Thank you all.

Northerner.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions