Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily of the valley

Posted by appaloosa909 6b Central NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 17:38

My Pink Lily of the valley had red berries on them. Can I pick the berries and save the seed? Are the seeds viable? I have tried searching the web for info but it says (everywhere) to divide to propagate.

Thanks
Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily of the valley

It states on Plantfiles that the seeds do not store well and you have to plant them where you want to go as soon as possible. It also says to let the pods dry on the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily of the Valley Plantfiles

o

Thanks evonnestoryteller!

Andrea

o

You are very welcome!

o

I just bought some lily of the valley in pots that have green berries on them. I had never seen berries on a LOTV so I googled and found that the berries will turn red. I'm so surprised. I had them growing up but never saw that. I love LOTV and cannot wait until next spring to see them flower. I guess I will plant the seeds once they've dried on the racene (raceme?). Hope no critter eats them as they are poisonous.

o

I have tried many, many times to save seeds from my pink LOV. I leave them on the plant to dry and some critter always gets them before I do. I've read that you can tie a paper bag over the berries until they ripen. Has anyone tried this?

o

I'm doing that right now. I'm using the left-over bags from wedding favors (the white, gauzey kind that you put jordan almonds or mints in). I'm liking them so far because I can see through them to know when the seed is mature but bugs and birds can't get in. And they breathe.

We'll see if I get any seed!

Diana Lynn

o

Please let us know if you get seeds with the bags over them. I have a ton of orange berries on mine now.

Andrea

o

Follow-up:

I got seed! I didn't get back over to that garden (I don't live there) until around January, so the berries were all dried out and shrivelled. I cut off the stem and brought them inside, where I found that the berry was impossible to break open. So I dropped the berries in warm water until they were soft, and then took the seeds out. There were about three seeds in each berry. I'm giving them to someone who wanted to try them, so I won't find out if it works for quite a while (if ever). But at least I know the baggies worked!

Diana Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here