Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindra_gw

? about Lophospermum seeds

cindra
16 years ago

I have several vines of Lophospermum vines growing and flowering well. I have been to the seed site to see what the seed pod looks like because I want to collect seeds from these vines. My neighbor also wants some seeds.

Everytime I seed a seed pod forming it never does anything, just stays green and the odd time withers away to nothing. I have waited till they turn brown but they never do. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please? Or if you have experience collecting these seeds I would sure appreciate some help and any advice you would care to share. Are there types of this plant that are sterile?

TIA

Cindi

Comments (12)

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Cindi,
    It does sound like you are not getting pollination so no seed end up developing. I did a search on Lophospermum. It seems to be a pretty unusual plant. I did find a pic of one. It had trumpet type flowers. I'm assuming your does too. I figure it might need a specific pollinator like a hummingbird or big moth and neither has come to pollinate it. Try the little paint brush technique on the flowers. Dab around in a bunch of them and then hopefully, you will see seed pods. If this does not make seeds either you are correct, your plant is sterile, or it is one of those plants which needs another plant to make seeds. Then you would need to try starting new plants by cuttings.
    Remy

• cindra
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Remy! I do see hummers around them but maybe they are not drinking from them so they don't get pollinated. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Oh and yes, the flowers are trumpet shaped. This is such an easy plant to grow and not fussy at all about water or light. The vine, leaves and flowers are really nice. I also like the fact that they will climb up or look just as good trailing.
    Thanks again!
    Cindi

• Debbie McLeod
    4 years ago

Looking for the seeds to start myself but I'm in Canada and can't seem to find the

• HU-812259068
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have had this plant in previous years and loved it but cant seem to find it in Garden Centres in Ontario anymore, Any info regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated...I'm even willing to purchase the seeds if I can...Thanks in advance.Teresa.

• Sandra White
    2 years ago

I have it now. Very hard to find. Im east of Toronto and 1 place near me grows and sells them each year. I will try to get seeds this year to grow next.

• Sandra White
    2 years ago

Let me know if you want the garden centre name.

• HU-812259068
    2 years ago

Yes please that would be great if I can get the name of the garden Centre from you! I'm in the Niagara Region but am willing to drive to get this plant!

• Sandra White
    2 years ago

https://thegardenpathclarington.ca/ This place has had it the last 2 years, maybe more, but I just discovered the place in looking for the lophospermum. They grow climbing black potato vines too, which I can't find other places. In going to look for lophospermum seeds, if I find any, I'll post on here too.

• HU-812259068
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for the information...I called the number that is on the link and spoke to a nice gentleman which is the owner of Garden Path ..Very nice man that I willing to go an extra mile to please customers.He is willing to send me some cuttings in the mail since I'm an 1hr:40min one way from where the garden path is...Thanks once again for going out of your way to provide me with the name...Have a healthy and safe summer👍🏽

• Sandra White
    2 years ago

Ooh that is fantastic. He really is going out for customer service. That's great to know it propagates with cuttings, then I could bring a plant in, in the fall and overwinter it, and make cuttings in the spring. I already do that with my Vinca plants. You can find white lophospermum seeds on eBay right now. If you want white for next year.

• HU-812259068
    2 years ago

According to the owner of garden path.you've got a better chance of growing it by cuttings this way it wil guarantee you flowers but if you grow it from seeds it has to get pollinated by birds other wise it will not flower.hope you'll find this information helpful...Thanks once again!

• Sandra White
    2 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored
More Discussions