Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harlgr8dane

any ideas for silica gel homemade packs?

harlgr8dane
18 years ago

I have a large bag of silica gel. (I'd say its about a pound and a half!) I would like to use it to keep my seeds dry. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas (other than cutting up panty hose & tying it in little bits - which is the only thing that I can think of....) to make little gel packs for keeping seeds dry?

Also is this something that I should put on a trade list? Would people be interested in this?

Thanks, Renee

Comments (10)

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

Should work. Be careful with ventilation when you bag it - the "fines" get airborn and can hurt your lungs.

• crankyoldman
    18 years ago

I use coffee filters with a rubber band around them.

• harlgr8dane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Brenda - good thought!
    and crankyoldman - great idea ;)
    Thank you both!

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

harlgr8dane,

May I ask where you got the silica gel from in bulk? I'm wanting to do the same thing and wasn't sure where to find it?

Thanks
    Shauna

• harlgr8dane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shauna - the bag came in with some tool DH bought (contractor)- a compressor or some large item. There is probably more in the garage (or will be at some time in the future)...if you are interested email me. Renee

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Thanks, Renee. After reading your response, I phoned my brother, who works as a power engineer. He's going to check to see if he can find me some. If he can't, expect mail. : )

Shauna

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Look for generic crystal-type kitty litter (unscented) Its pure silica gel =)
    =^..^= GW

• crankyoldman
    18 years ago

garden witch is right about the crystal kitty litter. If you want the fine powdered stuff, you can get it at craft shops.

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

I have a suggestion: Go to the local "Mart"'s shoe department and ask the associate if they would save the silica packets for you. EVERY single pair of boxed shoes has a packet(s) in it when it is received by the store. And every single box has to be cleaned because there is stuffing and other packing materials in it. Be nice, smile and be sure to go back and pick up the saved items when you say you will. Don't phone them, speaking from experience, sometimes it is hard to get to the phone. Again, pick them up when you say you will.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Typically, I didn't hear back from my brother but I ended up finding a jar of it in the floral craft section of Wally's Mart. I, too, thought of asking an associate in the shoe department to save me packets and just picked them up today. With no trouble at all, they saved me about a hundred of them. : ) Might be a good idea to get them now, though. Many of the shoe boxes are now being packed with a plastic clear strip and it looks like they are phasing out the silica packets. The plastic strips would probably work, but I think the seed would stick to them from static.

Also, another little find in the craft department. They have a tray for sorting beads, about $3, sort of like something the pharmacists' use for sorting pills. Picked one of those up and it works great for separating seed from chaff and then putting it into the envelopes. Needed a bit of googone to get the label glue off and then I also rubbed it with a dryer sheet to make it less static.

Shauna

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions