Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matovisme

How do you store seeds for next season?

matovisme
15 years ago

Flower seeds. I have read a lot of different ways and I am not sure if there are pros or cons. My sister in law just saves, drys and puts them in a container. I used some of her seeds and about half grew (she also left them in the pod). Just looking for different ways. What is your experience? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Check out the FAQ's here (linked at the top of the page) for several different suggestions on how to save/store them. Once dry - hard to dry them if stored in the pods or shells - I just store my in individual paper envelopes. The only thing you MUST avoid is exposure to heat and humidity.

Dave

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Matovisme,
    Some people do just as your sis-in-law(my mother-in-law does the same,) and there is nothing wrong with doing it that way. When you save seeds like that, it may not actually be poor germination. See when I save seeds, I go through the seeds as I collect them culling out bad seeds as I go. Many of the larger seeds are easy to see if they are viable or not so the seeds I have left if stored properly will have a higher germination rate. Also some flowers seem to produce all viable seed while others are more hit or miss. Of course if you sis-in-law is collecting flower heads too soon before the seeds are fully developed she could be causing a lower germination rate. Or improper storage can cause a lower germination rate though the seed started out fine.
    Have I confused you yet? lol.
    The important things for you is to do what makes you most comfortable. I personally like to go through and sort seeds. It is very calming to me. For other people, they could find it a pain to go through all that trouble.
    More importantly, is to store them in a cool dry dark place. I also think storing in paper is better than plastic. That way you don't need to worry if enough moisture is gone from the seeds before storage.
    Remy

• paulan70
    15 years ago

After I collect the ripe seed head I place the seeds on a paper or syrafoam plate labeled what is what for a few days and let it air dry and then I place them in label as well and then I wait until the envie is full or I am running out room which ever happens first and then I pour the seeds into the small plastic close baggies that can be found in the jewelery craft dept. of places like walmart. These baggies are labeled of course and then go go either into a a gallon bag for storage in the fridge or they are sorted into when I can wintersow them in a photo box.

Therre really is no wrong or right way to store seeds it all depends on how much effort you want to put into it and how much space you have.

Paula

• diana_lynn
    15 years ago

I have some in envelopes, some in pill bottles (those that I know are bone dry), and some in tins (I love the little Altoids tins--they stack well and won't spill if I drop them, plus they are easy to get in and out of).

Diana Lynn

Sponsored
More Discussions