Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black eyed susan question

Posted by janet_w TX 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 21:13

Can someone post a pic what the seed pod and seeds look like.
Thank you
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black eyed susan question

Black eyed Susan seed pods? The black eye is the seed head. Collect them when dry. I sometimes wear a pair of thin rubber gloves when I try to separate the seeds from the chaff, because they can prick your fingers.

I also use a pair of blunt clippers to clamp down the seed heads and twist the clippers to separate the seeds and chaff from the head. . It's easier than using your fingers to split them.

When the seed heads are really dry, it is much easier to separate the seeds from the seed head. In that case I would just rub them between my index and thumb and they would come off.

I then winnow the seeds and all to separate the seeds from their chaff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black eyed susan seeds

o
Seed heads

Seed heads:

Here is a link that might be useful: Black eyed susan seed heads

o

Thank you that does help. I wasn't sure what the seeds looked like. There's about 100 or more of those seed heads out in the flowerbed now that I know that each one is filled with tiny seeds will make it easier to gather and remove them. If you need any seeds let me know I will be happy to send you some.
Thank you
Janet

o

I don't try too hard to seperate seed from chaff. I generally shade the head and the seed and some chaff fall out. I simply identify the seed as the shorter, gray/black pegs among the lighter brown chaff. I sow them with the chaff and there's no problem.

I just cut the heads in a bowl and shake the bowl. I try to remove most of the big chaff, but just bag up the rest. Works fine.

o

Now that I know where the seeds were I put the seed heads in a plastic bag and shook it then seperated the chaff using a sifter then repeated the process till no more seeds fell in the bag. Very little amounts of chaff fell through with the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here