Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Sow Seeds?

Posted by sdooner 10FL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 21:47

Hoping you can help. I am very new, and I have lots of seeds that I'd like to plant. I have had little success with placing the seed and covering it lightly w/ soil, and a friend has had similar lack of success w/ spreading the seeds and letting nature take control.

WHat is the best way to sow seeds? I know depth varies and such. THinking mostly about asclepias and herbs...

Thanks,
Shawna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Sow Seeds?

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 10:49

Maybe this will help -

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson/Morgan Germination Database

o

I don't know much about zone 10 gardening, but check out winter sowing on the Winter Sowing Forum. Naturally, the winter isn't going to apply to you, but the summer sowing technique is probably right up your alley. It's easy and requires little to no equipment. Consider posting over there and perhaps we can all coach you through your first experience. I could not grow from seed until I tried winter sowing and now I can grow basically everything. I just summer sowed asclepias this afternoon.

Tell em Bakemom sent you.

o

You can buy seed starter mix in gardening stores. I find it pretty easy to sprout any type of seeds. Use solo cups and make hole in the bottom for drainage. Fill the cups with starter mix and put some seeds and spray with water and keep the soil moist. You will see the sprouts emerging in a week or two depending on the seeds. Good Luck!

o

you make it sound so easy!
my seeds always get tall and leggy, then fall over and die...if i dont put seeds under dome, and just put in flats and mist...will they grow without the humidity?
i have lights over plants, will this work?
suzanne

o

I golf with a man who supplies the city of winnipeg(he owns several greenhouses) with some of there annuals. I have been trying to grow my plants from seed in my basement, with growing lights, heating cables. etc He said basically" forget it" He said that 99% of sucess of growing your own planys from seed are 1: NATURAL LIGHT -SUN 2; JUST AS IMP. AS NO.1- FRESH AIR; he said that plants (seedlings) HAVE) TO HAVE FRESH AIR. GROWING IN UR BASE MENT WITH STALE AIR , U ARE DOOMED!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here