Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia May Night -how to harvest

Posted by jnamama Ohio USA zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 22:23

I have a beautiful Salvia May Night with flowers starting to die out and would like to save its seed. I am having trouble actually seeing any seed. Any suggestions?

jnamama

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia May Night -how to harvest

If you look at where the flowers used to be, you should see little cups (it's called the calyx, I think - can't remember those plant parts) with (usually) jagged rims, attached to the stem. At the bottom of the cup (inside), you should see up to four green bumps, and those are the seeds. When they ripen, they will turn brown or black, and the calyx will start to turn papery. Then all you have to do is squeeze the base of the calyx and they will slide out easily. If they don't, then they're probably not quite ready. I do recommend cutting the calices off the stems first, as the seeds may shoot out when you squeeze. This would be the same for all lamiaceae plants (mint family), including lavender, lamiums, sages (salvias), basils, etc. The seeds could be quite tiny (like thyme) or quite large (like leonorus), but are generally either spheres or ovoids. Good luck!

o
RE: Salvia May Night -how to harvest

Hi jnamama,
I cut the dry stems and turn them upside down in a paper grocery bag. I keep doing this until the end of the season. Then I leave them two more weeks and they usually drop the seed into the bag on their own. You can roll the top over, hold it tightly and shake hard for a few minutes to help them along.
Hope this works for you, it is so easy.
Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here