Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaillardia

Posted by kywildcat2 z6 KY (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 22:30

I assume the seed are the outside portions of the seed balls...do I wait until they are dry and brown to collect? Thankyou! : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaillardia

I'm not sure what you mean by the outside portions, but if you brush the seed heads with you hand, you should see a bunch of little shuttlecocks come off the seed head if it's ready to collect. The viable ones are the ones with cones that are fat, and with silvery short fur on the outside. The overall appearance is more white than brown, although it's probably brown (or black - but not green) under the fur.

o

And be careful, they can stick you with their little hairs and it itches! Doesn't stop me though, hives and all!

o

I found out the hard way -- I have an allergic reaction to them too.

They should be white -- I let mine dry on the plant and clip the dried flower head off into a brown paper bag.

JR

o

Can gaillardia goblin be started from seed? How long to germination, bloom time? This was my first gaillardia and I really like it. Would like to save some seed for next year. Can they be wintersown? I've never tried this but since reading of all the success stories, I think I'm going to try a few things this winter.

o

kqcrna, i WS'd Goblin this year and started getting blooms just a few days ago (did not expect them until next year). i'll be WSing those again and trying several other varieties next year.

o

Thank you, mudbucket. I think I'll save some seed and try next winter.

Karen

o

My goblin did not bloom until the second year. I don't know why.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here