Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia seeds

Posted by barb_roselover_in 5a IN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 23:15

I have a salvia plant. It is like the Nymph Coral, but this one is red. I love that thing. Can I either winter it over in some way, or how do I collect the seeds? Any help with this one? Thanks for any comments - Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 20:07

Hi Barb,
Do you have Lady in Red? If you do, you can easily save seeds and start new ones next year. If you don't save seeds, you may have new ones next year too! If in a good spot, they will re-seed.
To save seeds, wait until the calyxes(the little cup shaped things that hold the base of the flowers) loose their color and start brown. Get a bag under them and pop them off into it. In a shallow box, or I take paper and fold the sides up to make my own, empty the contents and rub the calyxes to get the seeds to pop out that haven't already on their own. Good seeds will look like tiny mouse poos, lol.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Lady in Red

o

Remy, thanks for your answer. It is in a container but it is Raspberry something or other. I am not to where I can get to it. It is night here. I had it with coleus, a chartreuse sweet potato and another dark purple salvia. Made a very pretty container. Thanks for the help - Barb

o

Barb, you might check at the end of the season to see if it is one of the sages that has fleshy roots. I've overwintered Salvia patens and Black & Blue simply by digging the fleshy roots right before heavy frost, tossing them in a paper bag covered loosely with plastic, then storing them in the coolest place in the house for winter. They do very well. I plan to try this method with a fancy raspberry-colored salvia with a fringed corolla that I got at a nursery this summer. Sounds as if you have a number of things in your container that you could try to overwinter that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here