Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you store canna seeds etc

Posted by fairydust 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 2:51

HOW DO YOU STORE FOR THE WINTER INSIDE THE HOUSE CANNA SEEDS, JACK IN THE PULPIT SEEDS, TRILLIUM SEEDS CORRECTLY SO THEY WILL BE VIABLE NEXT SPRING 2008???? FAIRYDUST

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you store canna seeds etc

The FAQ here provide all the needed info on saving and how to store your seeds. I have linked it below for you.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saving FAQ

o

Canna lilys are stored by the roots ( bulbs). If you are in a colder region, they must be lifted before frost, and the greenery allowed to die off, and then cut off. You then clean the bulb and put it in sawdust or peat moss etc and store in a dry cool place for the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic gardening.

o

I am planing on storing my seeds in either the little plastic baggies or some homemade envie that I have learned to make and these will be all be stored together in a extra photo box that I had on hand and then they will be kept in the unheated basement until it is time to winter sow them.

But everything I have read says to store in a cool dry unheated basement or garage. But not too cold to where there is a chance of freezing.

Paula

o

I store mine at room temperature in any kind of packet after drying.

Canna have a very thick seed coat. Don't forget to nick and soak before planting.
The thickness of teh seedcoat has allowed canna to germinate successfully after being found 100's of years later! They were even rumored to germinate after being found in Eygptian tombs! That claim is false according to the web, but they have been able to germinate from very old seed.

You'll do fine.
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here