Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shlisten

nasturtums - not one seed to be found?

shlisten
18 years ago

have four nasturtums - jewel mix, have been looking for seeds all summer have yet to find even one, I know what the seeds look like, I winter sowed them, but I have yet to find a single seed?

Comments (11)

• lookingglassgarden
    18 years ago

Im darned if I can find them either. As a matter fact I just trade with the same trader every year to get my nasturtium seeds because I give up. :)

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

At the end of the season, or whenever you finally decide to pull up the Naturtum plants, yank them outta the ground, turn them upside down on some newspaper, and look for the dried up flower buds. The seeds look like papery capers.

If you still can't find any, take all the uprooted plants and shake them over the same area you pulled them up from. Also, I usually find a few seeds laying on the ground under the old stems and yellowing leaves.

I also have lots of volunteers the next year, usually later than when I put my tomato transplants out, and just move them around to where I want them that year.

• Hollywog
    18 years ago

I have a ton of nasturtiums that I planted and lots coming up thanks to my doggie, who ran off with a seed packet full of them and dropped them everywhere. Lots of pretty blooms on the ones I planted, TONS on the dogs 'volunteers'. Not a seed pod anywhere. I don't get it. I even tried to hand-pollinate--still got nuthin'! I don't know what the problem is. Guess I'll be buying them again this coming spring.

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

SAME HERE LOTS OF BLOOMS BUT NO SEEDS

• elvis
    18 years ago

I always find the seeds on the ground--I don't have many, but they are setting seed...

• donna37
    18 years ago

I am so glad I'm not the only one not finding seeds, I just tho't it must be me and I do know what the dang things look like and I have such a pretty bunch of flowers the past month after a slow start. Will look again!
    Donna

• farmerpickle
    18 years ago

I notice that they seed very late. Almost before winter comes. Unlike other plants where flowers died and seed in a month or so. So just be patient and just about when u are ready to yank it out cause the plant is almost dead you'll find the seeds. This is my own experience :-).

• kqcrna
    18 years ago

I have 4 plants and in the last couple of weeks they are seeding like crazy. They're not all mature yet, but there will be many

• fliptx
    17 years ago

I found this discussion while looking for info about saving nasturtium seeds. I had hundreds of blooms but so far, only 2 seed pods. The first one fell off the stem today (looks like a pale green 'brain' about the size of a large pea) so I took it inside to dry. I remember on the original packet of seeds it gave a recipe for turning the seeds into a kind of caper substitute. I was excited to try this, but with only two seeds, I don't think so! ;)

• crazybloomers
    17 years ago

Okay, can somebody tell me what I look for in a seed pod? I've never gotten mine to seed ever, but then I've never looked for a seed? Where are they located? Mine die off in the heat of summer, so what should I do to look for seeds??Thanks!
    Kerstin

• tdsfbay
    17 years ago

My mass of plants were seeded summer of '05 but few came up, very bad clay hard soil. I tried all kinds of things but what few came up died soon or killed by pocket gophers. I put lots of seeds in again in the late summer, none came up. Then, this winter, WOW, they started coming in like crazy; we had 30 days+ of rain in April, they are massive now, huge beautiful flowering climbing groundcover with TONS OF SEED PODS. As someone else said previously, the pods are tucked in out of sight mostly and look like miniature (1/2" or so) pumpkins or brains, that kind of shape.

Question: I've pulled these pods off, did I need to let them mature on the plant longer to use them as seeds??? Do they need to be brown and fall off to be usable for seed?

Sponsored
More Discussions