Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nasturtums - not one seed to be found?

Posted by shlisten Z5 ont canada (hihoneyitsyourmom@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Sep 9, 05 at 8:15

have four nasturtums - jewel mix, have been looking for seeds all summer have yet to find even one, I know what the seeds look like, I winter sowed them, but I have yet to find a single seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nasturtums - not one seed to be found?

Im darned if I can find them either. As a matter fact I just trade with the same trader every year to get my nasturtium seeds because I give up. :)

o

At the end of the season, or whenever you finally decide to pull up the Naturtum plants, yank them outta the ground, turn them upside down on some newspaper, and look for the dried up flower buds. The seeds look like papery capers.

If you still can't find any, take all the uprooted plants and shake them over the same area you pulled them up from. Also, I usually find a few seeds laying on the ground under the old stems and yellowing leaves.

I also have lots of volunteers the next year, usually later than when I put my tomato transplants out, and just move them around to where I want them that year.

o

I have a ton of nasturtiums that I planted and lots coming up thanks to my doggie, who ran off with a seed packet full of them and dropped them everywhere. Lots of pretty blooms on the ones I planted, TONS on the dogs 'volunteers'. Not a seed pod anywhere. I don't get it. I even tried to hand-pollinate--still got nuthin'! I don't know what the problem is. Guess I'll be buying them again this coming spring.

o

SAME HERE LOTS OF BLOOMS BUT NO SEEDS

o

I always find the seeds on the ground--I don't have many, but they are setting seed...

o

I am so glad I'm not the only one not finding seeds, I just tho't it must be me and I do know what the dang things look like and I have such a pretty bunch of flowers the past month after a slow start. Will look again!
Donna

o

I notice that they seed very late. Almost before winter comes. Unlike other plants where flowers died and seed in a month or so. So just be patient and just about when u are ready to yank it out cause the plant is almost dead you'll find the seeds. This is my own experience :-).

o

I have 4 plants and in the last couple of weeks they are seeding like crazy. They're not all mature yet, but there will be many

o

I found this discussion while looking for info about saving nasturtium seeds. I had hundreds of blooms but so far, only 2 seed pods. The first one fell off the stem today (looks like a pale green 'brain' about the size of a large pea) so I took it inside to dry. I remember on the original packet of seeds it gave a recipe for turning the seeds into a kind of caper substitute. I was excited to try this, but with only two seeds, I don't think so! ;)

o

Okay, can somebody tell me what I look for in a seed pod? I've never gotten mine to seed ever, but then I've never looked for a seed? Where are they located? Mine die off in the heat of summer, so what should I do to look for seeds??Thanks!
Kerstin

o
nasturtums - TONS of seeds June 3! immature??

My mass of plants were seeded summer of '05 but few came up, very bad clay hard soil. I tried all kinds of things but what few came up died soon or killed by pocket gophers. I put lots of seeds in again in the late summer, none came up. Then, this winter, WOW, they started coming in like crazy; we had 30 days+ of rain in April, they are massive now, huge beautiful flowering climbing groundcover with TONS OF SEED PODS. As someone else said previously, the pods are tucked in out of sight mostly and look like miniature (1/2" or so) pumpkins or brains, that kind of shape.

Question: I've pulled these pods off, did I need to let them mature on the plant longer to use them as seeds??? Do they need to be brown and fall off to be usable for seed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here