Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agastache seeds

Posted by dr.liz 7 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 8:21

I would like to save some agastache seeds to try again next year, since the plant I had this year died. (I will be locating it in a drier location.) I got some seedheads from a friend. The stem and flowers were completely brown. When I took the seedheads home I tried tapping them over a bowl and nothing came out. I am a little confused. Are the dried flowers themselves the seeds? Or do they contain a seed inside? Have the seeds already dispersed? I read the description in the FAQ but it didn't clear things up for me. I would be very appreciative if someone could explain this.
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agastache seeds

No. It may still be a little to early in the season (it is here, in Indiana). My recollection is that they are fairly small. I think I've seen some seedheads being almost empty, other had seeds.

Try shredding one up into small pieces, then rolling all the pieces between your hands over a paper plate. (Sometimes you can hear smaller seeds hit the paper plate.) I like to use a paper plate & blow lightly across it to separate out the lighter dried flower parts. Seeds are a little heavier. Don't sneeze or it will all be on the floor!

o

Do you mean Agastache foeniculum which has the purple spikey flowers and is native to eastern North America? I have a lot of this plant but have never bothered to collect seed before. Received a couple divisions at a swap years ago and It reseeds ever year. The bumblebees LOVE this plant!

Your question got me curious so I collected a dried seed head out there today (one of the first) and crushed it up. It broke apart into petals and seeds. Here you can see them - the seeds are tiny oval things, about 1 mm in length.

o

Thanks for the picture. I think mine are duds. Either the seeds were already dispersed or they didn't have time to mature. Either way there was nothing there.

o

Some of the Agastache cultivars like 'Blue Fortune' and 'Black Adder' are sterile hybrids I think - they've never thrown a seedling for me! Maybe the seedhead you got was from one of those cultivars. The species A. foeniculum though, is very prolific.

o

I grow white (noID) and blue (giant blue) and collect seeds every year. I have found that if I let the seed head get completely brown so that all the spent blossoms are open all the way to the top, many of the seeds have fallen. I get more seeds if I snip the seed heads when they are mostly brown with still some light green, open, and beginning to turn brown at the tip of the seed head. I can send you seeds for postage if you want some.

o

I could share Agastache seeds as well. I have some of the blue type and also some red/pink/coral that I got in a trade this year. I don't know if the second type is annual or perennial.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here