Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottle Brush Tree

Posted by goti 8b 9a (vegoddard@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 9:02

Could anyone tell me how to collect the seeds from the Bottlebrush Tree (Callistemon rigidus)? I have taken the really dried cones that develop along the stalks and from these came these really fine brown dust like, is this the seeds? I love the tree, it is a beautiful addition to my landscape and would love to know how to take the seeds. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle Brush Tree

It sounds like you have it right. Old seed pods will be very grey and probably have already shed. Current year's flower pods will be green and unripe. Mature seed comes from pods at least a year old, they will have begun, or shown signs of, splitting. You can pick this and tap out onto paper or collect those pods just beginning to open, place in a paper bag somewhere warm, and allow the process to continue. The seed is very fine, light brown.
Bushfires here sometimes hasten that opening process. I must say in the worst drought in 100 years recorded (and I've only been around roughly 1/2 of it) I have never seen callistemon in our area so full of flower before. Survival mechanism I guess, I just hope it means rain is coming, we are in big trouble otherwise.
For info on propagation there are probably lots of sites if you use your favourite search engine. This may get you started

Here is a link that might be useful: bottle-brush from seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here