Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

I'm a Seed Snatcher III

trudi_d
15 years ago

At Jones Beach State Park there are gazillions of plantings, now that the summer crush has gone by there's not too many gawkers when I borrow a few bags of seeds off their gaillardias or marigolds.

T

Comments (10)

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Noticed some rose of sharon and tree pods at the college the other night. They have gerbera daisy and echinacea but I feel a little conspicuous wandering out in the middle of the bed!

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Yes, yes, yes... I admit it. I learned this from my grandmother!
    Along the Hudson River in the park, there are many Gaillardia that go to seed and yes I take some.
    Marigolds are fair game too.
    Morning glories... fuhggeddaboutit.
    But I only snatch if I know there isn't someone waiting for that precious pod to mature on thier own.

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

Last week my husband and I were in upstate New York, staying with his sister. We went to an old Cemetery with both really old and more recent graves to take some pictures. I saw some beautiful red and white Dahlias planted in a pot at a grave site. I took a few of the seed pods from the dahlias. Does this mean I will go straight to hell?

I work on the grounds of a hospital, and they have incredible plantings. I've gotten Sea Holy, Purple Coneflower, Liatris, and Hardy Hibiscus over the last few years, to name a few. I am now working on their beautiful Purple-Pink Petunias. I just sit on the wall at the edge of the flower bed and have at it, as unobtrusively as possible. This one, I don't feel bad about. Last year they had tons of beautiful Coneflowers. This year, they were all gone. I have a big problem with using fully matured perenials as annuals. I did get some seed, so they did not die in vain.

Amy

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Perhaps I will see you in hell, Amy. Yesterday I wandered over a 40 acre cemetery and left with seeds from a creamy yellow Achillea fillipendulina, purple Angelonia augustifolia, and some Ipomoea pes-caprae that was climbing a mausoleum.
    There were two different Datura's and a very pale yellow Hemerocalis that caught my eye, but the seeds were not ripe. Next week....

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amy,

My folks are buried in Clovesville Cemetary, I don't remember them having dahlias in their planters so you're off the hook with me ;-)

T

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

Nope Trudi,

This was waaay upstate, past Buffalo. Anyway, I think the Karma Police was out in force that day because I only harvested 3 seeds. LOL

Amy

• etravia
    15 years ago

I deadheaded the snapdragons at the hospital last night. I figure I'm helping them keep things tidy. Guess that means I go to heaven!!!!!
    Maggie

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

The local department store had a few end of season
    perennials for sale. They just happened to have a
    early sunrise coriopsis. The seed head was dry, so I
    pinched it off an put it in my pocket.

Only found one seed inside. Just my luck.

Mary

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Hell has bigger fish to fry!! Leave seed snatchers to heaven...and go for the CEO's!
    I have just the opposite feeling about seed from cemeteries... it makes me remember people better. A friend recently gave me a seed head they took from a famous composer's grave they visited recently.
    Why not use some of that cemetery seed for the solstice wintersowing? Fits right in to one of those categories: remembrance

• YardLadyNan
    15 years ago

I am not a seed snatcher III yet, but think I will join. Thanks for all the ideas. Have fun collecting.

Yardladynan

Sponsored
More Discussions