Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
appaloosa909

Weird Morning Glory Seed Question

appaloosa909
15 years ago

I have 4 sections of Star of yelta morning glories in my yard. One section has all dark pink flowers only. When I went to collect seeds from that section, I found the ripe brown seed pods, petal things pulled back, round part sticking out ready to "shoot"... but the seeds inside were white, hard like the black ones (everywhere else in the yard), but white.

I thought I did something wrong and all the pods I pick from here have white seeds in them. So I got one of those favor mesh-like bags with the ribbon draw string (left over from a wedding I went to) and put it around one of the groups of pods that was starting to turn yellow.... Left it there to "pop" on it's own and .... the seeds in the bag are white.

My question???? Are these seeds any good? Have you ever heard of white seeds??

Thanks,

Andrea

Comments (6)

• andrea81
    15 years ago

Some varieties of MG's have white seeds. I am not sure about the Star of Yelta but I would assume the seeds are good. I know alot of Japanese MG's have white seeds. Wish I could help more, hopefully someone else that knows more than me will pipe up. =)

Andrea too

• appaloosa909
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for answering "Andrea Too"!
    Andrea

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I don't know about white seeds, but I have heard of and seen peanut butter colored ones. I bought 2 packs of Shiva MG seeds off a rack. One pack was the usual dark color, and the other was peanut butter colored. I have not grown either of them yet to find out what the bloom looks like.

My question???? Are these seeds any good? You might try germinating a few, but I suspect that if they are hard, and released on their own, that they would be fine.

You might try asking at the link below also.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines Forum

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

sounds like the morning glory you are growing have crossed with another morning glory and that is why the seeds are a different color.

I would venture to guess that the seeds are ripe and viable as there are several MG that have a whitish color seed.

I had some seeds for a morning glory called Sydney that I sowed. All the seeds where very small and a whitish color. The blooms on 3 of the vines where sydney, the blooms on the 4th vine where different and when I collected the seeds from that 4th bloom, the seeds where black, but the same size and appearance of the tiny sydney seeds.

I grew those seeds separately this year and the flowers from that 4th vine where different again, but the whitish ones bloomed sydney.

You may or may not be growing a star of yelta as well but thought you where.

I would post your question over on the vine forum as there is a person Ron, who knows a great deal about morning glory and may be able to give you a better answer than I have.

It would also be good if you could post a picture of the flower that you got those whitish seeds from when you post on the vine forum.

Fran

• appaloosa909
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sue and Fran (and Andrea Too!) I purchased the Star of Yelta seeds but can't remember if I only planted black seeds or if they were mixed.... The white seeds come from the Pink flowered MG (the purple and bluish are both black) I plan on seperating them to plant next year (and keep track of where I plant them) to see what happens.

Even if they are sterile/no good... I have the best looking MG's I've EVER had this year so I have no complaints.
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Andrea

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Sometimes a sneaky seed of another variety gets mixed in. That could happen... From the description of the pods it sounds like you have waited long enough for the seeds to mature. If have already harvested a fair number of seeds, and you have doubts, you can experiment by leaving the rest of the pods out on the vine and pick a new pod every week to see if there is any change in color leaving them out longer.
    All the best,
    George

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions