Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheechnchong

Bauhinia seeds- when and how to pick to save?

Cheechnchong
19 years ago

hi all,

I have a bauhinia tree and there are seed pods on my tree. I want to know the best way to handle seedpod saving. Do I let them brown "on the vine"?

thanks,

Chong

Comments (4)

• sebastian
    19 years ago

Yes, wait until they are dry to insure maturity.

Barbie

• alisonoz_gw
    19 years ago

They tend to open with incredible force to fling the seeds. Try tying some old panty-hose or something similar and airy over them secured by small peg or pin to stop the seeds escaping.

• unclemax
    19 years ago

Hi, I just joined up. I have a 3 year old Orchid tree given by a friend. I think that it's a Bauhinia variegata. It bloomed last May for the 1st time. 1 purple petal and the rest pink. A large number of seeds then appeared and I let them turn brown and dry. I split them open, gathered the seeds, put them on a wet paper towel on a paint tray with water in the bottom in my closed shed and waited until they sprouted. I then put them in small pots and let them grow, gradually moving them to larger pots. I now have 30 or so 2 to 3 ft plants in pots and don't know what to do with them. Any suggestions?

• Suzanne Spiers
    2 years ago

Give them to people who might want a beautiful tree.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and a long time ago, I worked in an area that had a home with a white Bauhinia tree. I wanted one of these because they are beautiful but the most common variety where I live are the purple and pink ones. I asked the owner of the home if I could take a few of the tiny saplings that were growing in the garden and she let me take some. I brought them home and through many moves I now have 1 mature tree that is stunning and about 5-6 metres tall after being in my home now for 15.5 years. The tree produces seed pods. Since it is impractical to keep a lot of trees, perhaps you can give them to people who might want an ornamental tree, or offer them to garden centres who may be able to use them. Alternatively, set yourself up in the centre of town and sell them for $10 per tree.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer
More Discussions