Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columbine Seedlings

Posted by ramiri 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 11:01

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with 2nd generation seeds. I guess that's what they would be called, I'm not really sure. I've been refering to them as my Grand-flowers. :)
I collected seeds from Columbine I already had in my garden and I sowed them a few weeks ago and they are already sprouting pretty good.
Anyway, I just wonder if they'll flower well next spring. I am also curious if they'll end up a different color, or better yet, White.
I have Texas Gold and Blazing Star Columbine.
I was also curious to find out if it would be a good idea to plant them in the ground this year before it gets cold, or to keep them in pots and indoors until the spring.
Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columbine Seedlings

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 19:03

Hi,
Plant them as soon as the weather is moderate so they have a chance to take hold before winter sets in. High heat temps are not a good time to try and plant since it adds an extra stress to the plant, but one it is in the 70's and there's rain in the forecast, it is a good time to plant. Don't leave them inside all winter!
They might bloom on the spring. They might be the same or they might be different. Columbines are known to be promiscuous and have varied seedlings. Though the Texas Gold is a type of species so the seedlings of those might all be the same.
Hope that helps,
Remy

o

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 21:31

I'd like to dig up some columbines seedings to take to a plant swap and I know they are tender perennials and afraid they won't make it. Is it too late to dig them up and pot them up now when the plant swap is only a week away?

o

I save seed every year from my plants-a combination of purchased & traded seeds, so I don't know exact variety names. I wintersow them & have had good results. I plant them in a woodland garden I have at a spot I can only tend on weekends (at best!) and they have thrived with less-than-constant attention.

o

Just one point pippi21 - I don't think anyone would class columbines as tender. As to whether you can pot them up now in your zone I can't tell not knowing your climate. But I would warn that they are fairly tenacious rooters and need digging up with a good root ball. They are hard to pull out when weeding. They tend to break off.

o

Thanks for your pots I miss their blooms this far south. I was trying to raise my first columbines when we moved to Texas and they are so beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here