Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
still some "goo" on Tomato seeds after fermentation

Posted by mustard_seeds 4 -Onalaska Wisconsi (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 11:06

Hello! This is my first time saving heirloom tomato seeds. I fermented seeds this past week and today rinsed them off, discarding the floaters and debris. Drained the rest, pressed between coffee filters to create a single layer, and left filters exposed to dry. I see there is still a gel like quality covering the seeds. Is that normal, or is that a sign they did not ferment long enough? Have a few other varieties that are still fermenting so I thought I would ask. Our library started a "seed library" this year and I want to give back good seeds. :) Rachel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: still some "goo" on Tomato seeds after fermentation

I am not sure if the remaining goo would be a problem, but if you want to be sure you are donating good seeds, try a germination test on 10 or 20 seeds. Some people do germination tests by layering the seeds in a moist paper towel inside a plastic baggie. I do mine in a flat tupperware by laying a couple paper towels on the bottom of the container, then spreading out the seeds, mist them to keep moist, and lightly cover. Tomato seeds will sprout within a week or so if kept moist in a warm dry spot.

o

Thanks Terrene - the seeds look like ones "from a package" now. I will let them dry a couple of weeks and then do the germination test to see how they are before I donate them back to the seed library. Great idea - thanks!

o

I have had a little stubborn goo left on some of mine, too, but they seem to dry down OK on paper plates.

o

I've always noticed that if they look 'hairy' and furry, after dried, you've come away with very healthy seeds that are extremely viable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here