Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstworks

So Hot and Dry this seeds be good to save this year?

houstworks
13 years ago

My flowers didn't last long in this heat.

Will the plants be able to produce many very healthy and viable seeds this year compared to other years in my zone?

Comments (5)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

From your question I am gathering the bloom itself did not last long. I really hope I am reading your question correctly.

In my own thoughts here I am thinking that it shouldn't matter how long the bloom itself is vibrant. As long as the flower head was pollinated and as long as the plant is alive should be all that matters.

Now if the plant died of course it will not produce seed, unless the seed was already viable prior to the death of the plant. The only thing I could think of is that if the bloom was not open long enough to get fully pollinated your seed intake may be less. If that worries you though you can always pollinate your flowers your self. I use a small paintbrush and I rub it from the outside to the inside of or in technical terms from the stamen to the pistil.

• houstworks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks CountryCarolyn you are right I did mean how long the bloom lasts.
    The plants most of them didn't die.

So the results could be less seeds not necessarily less vibrant seeds?

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Viability depends on if you collect to early. If you collect the seeds to early then you may have some that will germinate and some that will not. Without pollination you will not have any seeds, unless you have a plant that is self fertilizing.

So yes the results may be less seeds but as long as you collect them at the right time then you shouldn't have to worry to much if they are viable.

Best indicator that seeds are viable is the stem underneath the flower head will be brown including the flower head itself, while the main plant is still living and growing as normal.

I sure hope that made sense!!

• houstworks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, This is Very Helpful for me!
    Great

Thanks for the help!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

Even in the heat almost all my plants are doing nice seeds: dead brown tops and upper stems with healthy green leaves, lower stems, and bases. The one seed that didn't finish developing was my annual poppies that flowered a bit later. They should get openings at the top and the ripe seed shakes out of the opening just like pepper out of a shaker. They turned brown and would NOT develop any openings. Eventually the entire plant turned brown. With this last rain we had I saw some mold on the pods and plant. That let me know that they had aborted the rest of their seed production and were dead. I'm assuming it was the overwhelming heat becaues they are a spring/cool weather plant.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions