Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Bean saving

Posted by prachi 6b (NJ) (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 11:29

So I know its not completely right to do but my CSA has been having awesome heirloom beans (dragon tongue beans, a yellow variety and a dark purple one). Can I just pick the older beans dry them and save the seeds for next year. (I like to supplement my CSA with my garden veggies... b/c then I can get the things I like when I want them versus waiting for CSA to have enough to feed 200 shares before I get them.

ANy tips are appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Bean saving

What's CSA? To get bean seeds, let the beans mature on the plants till the pods are brown and dry.

o

What's CSA? To get bean seeds, let the beans mature on the plants till the pods are brown and dry.

o

To answer for the OP, CSA is the term for a subscription veggie system where the farm pre-sells shares of the produce and the consumer picks up a box of food every week for the season.

As far as the beans, I agree that they really need to mature on the plant before picking. If they are really far along, you may still be able to dry them and have good germination. Better yet, splurge the $3 and buy a pack of seeds, lots of companies sell dragons tongue.

-Mark

o

Thanks... yes CSA stands for community service agriculture. I buy a "share" before the season starts and he gives us a veggies each week.

So sometimes at the end he will let us do upicks for the beans otherwise of course I can just buy the seeds.

THanks

o

Seed Savers Exchange is a huge group of gardeners and farmers from across the US who grow literally thousands of different heirloom varieties of every vegetable imaginable. The goal is to maintain diversity within the seed bank, as well as enable members to exchange seed with one another. You still have to buy the seeds from other members, but you get a discount if you are also offering seed to others. You can still buy seed from members if you are not able to offer anything back in trade.

Martha

o

You might want to try the seed saving forum here.

o

2 month old post.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here