Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Snapdragon seeds

barb_roselover_in
18 years ago

I went in on the FAQ but could find nothing about how to collect the seeds of snapdragons. Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance - Barb

Comments (6)

• peat_moss
    18 years ago

Barb,

Look at these sites and see if it helps.

http://www.frsa.org/Seedimages/Plate16.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: snapdragon

• magus
    18 years ago

When the flowers are gone, you should find some pods that look like small (but not tiny) slightly crooked cones (or upside-down wasp's nests), that start green and turn pale brown and brittle when they are ready. Then they would start to form small holes near the tip, at which time you just have to turn the thing upside down (carefully, of course, onto a piece of paper or a palm), and you will see hundreds of small fuzzy-looking black seeds (more or less roundish) falling out.

• coasterphile
    17 years ago

I just did mine today! I pull my fingers along the stalk to be able to get a bunch of dried brown pods in my hands then I cup my hands closely and shake shake shake. All the seeds come out and you can discard the empty pods!

• pippi21
    11 years ago

i tried to open the dried pod over a paper towel and I got the fine seeds all over my fingers and hand.hard to get off. I remember one type of seed I placed in a paper lunch bag, wrote the name of plant and date I collected the seed, folded over the top of the bag and shake, shake, shake. Open the bag and you'll seed lots of seeds in the bottom. I then take any other seeds that have not falled out of the pods out and pour the fallen seeds into a cup or piece of white paper where it is easy to see the fine seeds, then pour them into a ziploc bag for flower seeds.(get small zipoc bags in jewelry making dept in craft store.)Or make your own from seed catalogs or wax paper. My lunch bags are brown but I would suggest if you can find the white ones, it would be a lot easier to spy the tiny black seeds.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Just learned how to collect snapdragon seeds from this forum and another kind GW member..Talk about fine, tiny seeds! Not too sure it is worth the effort but I'm determined to try to accomplish this task!

drippy..many thanks!

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

They can also be grown from cuttings in, say, August or Sept., depending on your zone and weather. SOme years, I never needed to replant them from seed. I'd just pinch off cuttings and plant them as I walked around the yard. This is great if you are worried about colors cross-pollinating and not being able to save pure seed. i do this with sweet willima, too..and other perennials...in late spring or early fall.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions