Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jack in the Pulpit

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 13:03

I have a couple of volunteers in my backyard wooded area. Some of the "berries" are turning red but some are still green. When will I be able to gather the seed?

I don't mind waiting, but my concern is that some birds or animals might eat them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jack in the Pulpit

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 19:37

Hi Dave,
You need to wait until they are ripe, bright red. The stems will bend over at that point since bugs cart away the berries. I'm not sure if any animals bother with them. But since they could be carted off by bugs, you can put organza bags over them to prevent that. If you don't have a female pack rat around who has a few organza bags stashed away, you can pick them up at a craft store. The link below shows what they are in case you have no clue what I'm talking about. I know my husband wouldn't, lol. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Organza Bags

o

Remy, thanks. And you are right. I have absolutely no idea what organza bags are. Thanks for the link to the picture. I do have netting like that (for protecting flowers in hybridizing), so I can use it for the Jack-in-the-pulpit berries too.

But do you think when they are bright red, they are ready? Or do I have to wait until they dry up?

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 20:12

Hi again,
No you do not have to wait for them to dry up. If you are worried if they are ripe enough though, wait for them to start to flop. You have to remove all the moist berry flesh. Then since they need stratification either pick a spot in your garden and plant or do the winter sowing method.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here