Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these Morning Glory seeds/pods?

Posted by vanillalotus 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 13:48

I have been admiring this vine at my apartment complex for awhile. I just walked by and notice all these pods with seeds in them. Are these morning glories? Do you nick them and soak them then plant them? Please tell me morning glories so I can pick off all the pods!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these Morning Glory seeds/pods?

They look similar to what I have on my pearly gates mg vines.

o

Go get em baby! The brown papery pods should crumble and those are the black seeds. Some varieties produce peanut butter colored seeds. You can sow them a variety of ways, but many folks simply direct sow them and let ma nature take over. Mine volunteer all over the front yard. I have soaked them for 24 hours before sowing in containers and some folks nick them, but I don't think it's necessary.

You can winter sow them too, but I recommend late winter/early spring sowing.

o

Turns out those are Alamo vine - Merremia dissecta - from the morning glory family. Vanillalotus figured it out on her own and posted in the vines forum. Just thought I'd post the name here for anybody looking in this area. Pretty flowers, Texas native, and drought tolerant to boot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here