Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I harvest Yvonne's Salvia seeds?

Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 13:56

Rec'd some Yvonne's salvia seeds in a trade last year or year before and about a month ago, it reappeared and is now about 24-30 in. tall and adds stunning color to the flowerbeds. I'd love to try to harvest the seeds..but don't know exactly what they look like or how to harvest them. Anybody out there that can help me? I see something that I think may be the seeds..inside the red bloom. Do I let the blooms dry up first before trying to collect them or just let them reseed where they are and transplant them next summer? Is there a way to take cuttings now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I harvest Yvonne's Salvia seeds?

If you look up inside the flower, you will see the seeds. When they are black, they are ready for harvest. You will see little white seeds too, they are not mature yet.

After the top of the stalk is no longer going to bloom, I carefully cut the stalk and lay it on a paper towel. Some seeds will just fall out (black ones). Be careful because if you jar the stalk, many seeds just fall out before you get them to the towel. You may have to tear open some of them to get the seeds out.

If there are any of the "internal" blooms at the top of the stalk, I don't cut them. These are the blooms the hummers go for and they are migrating now.

o
RE: How do I harvest Yvonne's Salvia seeds?

Last year I had a bumper crop of Yvonnes Salvia and collected lots of seed. I wait until the flowers on the oldest stalks start to turn light brownish. The seeds are usually ready by then. I cut the stalks and put them in a brown paper lunch bag. Let them dry for 2-4 weeks, shake the stalks, and most of the seeds will fall into the bottom of the bag. Then clean out any chaff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here