Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing cosmos seeds, prep for planting

Posted by anninmaine 4B (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 14:23

What are optimal conditions for storing cosmos seeds over the winter? Do I need to do anything to prepare them for planting? I have not been able to find a source for Cosmos Kibana, and am trying to keep my plants going. I have only been able to start one or 2 saved seeds in the last two springs, so I am doing something wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing cosmos seeds, prep for planting

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 19:29

Hi Ann,
You really shouldn't have any problems saving and storing cosmos seeds.I'm assuming you are waiting until they are completely mature before picking. So I'm a bit baffled. Cosmos seed just needs to be kept cool, dark, and dry so nothing out of the ordinary. They normally germinate quite well in the spring. I did have a bit of a WSing problem with them this year as in many sprouted and then there was a frost. Most of them died. All my other WSed sprouts lived, so they must be very temperature sensitive. So make sure there is no chance of frost when sowing or use containers outside and bring them in if a frost is coming then transplant them once it is warmer.
The only other thing I can think of is not all the seeds are fertile. Maybe you are not getting good insect pollination on them or it is just a varietal thing. If I were you I would save way more seeds than you actually need then over sow in the spring so you are ensuring some will sprout.
Remy

o
RE: storing cosmos seeds, prep for planting

I'm finding that either soaking them before sowing (better), or keepting the soil pretty damp (which gives other problems later), helps germination a lot.

Seems like the seed coats on some cosmos are harder, and they'll start to sprout and get "stuck" and die. Pre-soaking might be the help those kinds need. I haven't read anything about this, but I had better results with this experimental soak. (1-2 hours or even try overnight)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here