Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
datura-frost worry

Posted by valeriepa z5-6 NEPA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 15:32

Afraid of first frost. Got tons of ripe datura inoxia,but
yellow datura pods just starting to develop. Other than potting up and bringing indoors, anyone know how to get viable seed?
White daturas have only given me one ripened seed pod. Can one get viable seed from a green pod? I've read in another post that you can put a green pod in a brown paper bag to mature. Has anyone had success with that method?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: datura-frost worry

I have been growing Datura for years and this is the first year that I have got any ripe seed pods - one pod from the white plant split a few days ago and provided some seeds. I think the brown paper bag method will work if the seed pod is ripe enough that it would soon split. Otherwise, the seeds inside would not be mature. Try opening a few, and if the seeds are turning brown, it may work. You will need to expose them to the air, otherwise, they will just rot. You can cut the plant back quite a bit, leave a few leaves and pods and bring it in. I do that with peppers and they ripen indoors. I know it's annoying, so many pods, but I have to buy seeds each year. Next year, you may try cutting off all the pods, save just a few. That way the plant will use all its energy to ripen just a few. Good luck.

o

Thanks for the advice. No frost in sight yet, 70's-50's, but will try brown bag method if the seed is not mature by frost.

o

Thanks for the advice. No frost in sight yet, 70's-50's, but will try brown bag method if the seed is not mature by frost.

o

My native datura has the spiky, round seed balls forming now; I just let the seeds drop where ever for next year's crop. The datura here has huge white, lily-like flowers in the evening, fragrant & the bees seem to know when they are in flower at night as the bees stay out at night to get into the huge flowers. I get some nice photos at night of the bees down in the throat of the huge white lilies! This datura though has drug-like symptoms when ingested I believe: 'sacred datura'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here